Although “you are what you eat,” may sound like a cliché, it may have some truth. Your skin, like the rest of your body, reflects your state of health and responds according to how you treat it.
Here are some foods that can be detrimental to the health of your skin.
- Fatty and processed foods: Just as eating highly processed foods can cause swelling and inflammation, it can also irritate your skin.
- Alcohol: Alcohol dehydrates the skin, which leaves it more sensitive to environmental factors, and to become irritated if you already suffer from rosacea.
- Dairy Products: Some studies have found a connection between the consumption of dairy products and the formation of pimples, due to the growth hormones found in milk.
- Sugars: Like alcohol, foods high in added sugar, or carbohydrates that turn into sugar after being processed by your body can cause swelling in the body, allowing breakouts to form.
- Whey protein: Whey protein is a common option that may be recommended when you are trying to lose weight, or gain muscle mass, to keep you full longer. But like milk, whey contains growth hormones that can cause acne breakouts.
If you think that any of these foods may be affecting the health or appearance of your skin, try eliminating them from your diet for a month, and make conscious observations of how your body reacts.
To support the process, we recommend that you adopt the habits of sleeping eight hours a day, drinking at least two liters of water per day, using sunscreen whenever you are outdoors and that you touch your skin, especially your face, as little as possible.
Dr. Rigo recommends that you supplement your diet with Collagen and B-Complex to help give your skin optimal health and appearance.
You can call us at 1-800-299-7917 to make a virtual appointment with Doctor Rigoberto Perez Diaz, or visit our website www.salud.bz, we will gladly assist you. Remember to follow us on Facebook and Instagram and do not forget to tune into our daily program SALUD TV.