Fish has as many proteins as meat, rich in vitamins and minerals, and some varieties are also an important source of Omega 3, fatty acids beneficial for cardiovascular health.
The consumption of fish is part of a balanced diet and its intake should be 3-4 servings a week (1 serving = 125-150 g) . It is a very complete food that provides us with proteins of high biological value, vitamin D and group B vitamins, iodine, potassium, iron, calcium, among other nutrients. It is favorable to consider the relationship between the consumption of oily fish (sardines, mackerel, tuna, bonito, swordfish, salmon, herring, anchovies, horse mackerel …) and the prevention of cardiovascular diseases. This type of fish is an important source of Omega 3 fatty acids, they reduce the levels of LDL (‘bad’) cholesterol and slow down the process of accumulation of fatty plaque in the arteries, they also contribute to the proper functioning of the cognitive system. Here we mention 6 benefits of adding more fish to your diet:
1. Contributes to the improvement of brain health. Helps to achieve optimal brain cleansing, reducing the risk of deterioration associated with age. Increases the production of chemical substances for well-being, their consumption strengthens memory, cognitive abilities and emotional balance.
2. Protects visual health. Eating two or three servings of fatty fish can reduce the risk of macular degeneration in women by up to 42%.
3. Helps strengthen the immune system. Its high content of vitamins and minerals, protect the body against harmful pathogens and increase the response of antibodies against recurrent diseases.
4. Helps to gain muscle mass. Regular consumption of fatty fish is an excellent supplement to increase muscle mass. Its contribution of high-quality proteins together with essential fatty acids, strengthen muscles and improve physical performance.
5. Improves the quality of sleep. Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, and antioxidant compounds in oily fish increase the secretion of chemicals that make you sleepy. Thus, they help to effectively combat insomnia.
6. Prevents cardiovascular diseases. Regular consumption of fatty fish is one of the most recommended habits to protect and improve cardiovascular health.
By adding fish 3-4 times a week, you are receiving a healthy source of essential fatty acids, high-quality protein, and antioxidant substances that provide many benefits to the body. Start today to gain all these benefits.