Anxiety is a disorder that occurs when a person experiences fear or terror about everyday situations.
Although it is normal to suffer from anxiety from time to time, it becomes a problem when it is experienced excessively and persistently, and it does not allow you to carry out your normal activities.
Anxiety can produce both physical and mental symptoms, including:
- Sleep pattern disorders
- Lack of concentration
- High pulsations
- Irregular breathing
In situations such as the one we are currently experiencing, in which isolation is recommended, and social activities should be mostly canceled, anxiety may increase, due to confinement and lack of social interaction.
Here are some of the things you can do to deal with anxiety.
- Meditation is a good coping mechanism. If you have never meditated, you can practice quieting your mind for an extended period of time or use guided meditation. Many websites and apps offer free guided meditation videos that you can use as a resource.
- Having hobbies, or extracurricular activities. Playing sports, or spending time on something you are passionate about, not only helps you stay fit or entertained. It also helps burn excess energy if your work or lifestyle is on the sedentary side. Keeps your mind busy, and you have less time you could spend worrying about. In cases of isolation, you may practice exercises, yoga or learn a language without having to leave your home, since the internet offers you access to lessons of all kinds wherever you are.
- A relax day. If you like to take care of yourself, taking a few hours out of a day to take a bubble bath, and take care of your body can help you relax.
- Crafts and board games. If there are activities such as cooking, art, or playing an instrument that you are passionate about but do not pay attention to due to lack of time, this is the perfect time to resume them. If none of these things you are passionate about, and you are in good company, you can perfect your technique in board games, such as chess, Monopoly, puzzle games, or even invent some games with paper and pencil.
- If you prefer to take advantage of this time to rest, there are thousands of websites and applications that offer you access to books, movies, and works of opera for free at least for a trial time. The UN, for example, has enabled its libraries free of charge to give us access to much learning material in these times of isolation.
- Seek professional help. If anxiety has been around for a long time, and meditating or staying busy doesn’t help dissipate it, it’s possible that some deep-seated past event or more stressful situation in your current life is causing that anxiety. If that is the case, it is important to seek professional help and dedicate the same attention to your mental health that you give to your physical help, since a bubble bath or a yoga class does not necessarily heal trauma or an economic situation.
We recommend Titulus Somno to help you regulate your sleep hours and your mood in a natural way. Also, Rigoton can help regulate your mood and prevent depression. You can get 40% off if you buy them together now!
You can call us at 1-800-299-7917 to make an appointment with Doctor Rigoberto Perez Diaz, or visit our website www.salud.bz, we will gladly assist you. Remember to follow us on Facebook and Instagram and do not forget to tune into our daily program SALUD TV.